Tuesday, August 16, 2011

On becomming a real grownup at the ripe old age of 30something

Ya know what I'd kill for right now?  A massage, a facial and a margarita! Being a real grown up means not spending money on any or all of the above when I cannot afford it.  Alas, no massage, facial or margarita for me.

I decided to make myself learn to plan meals, and eat at home the majority of the time (not just fast food but actual food prepared in my home--gasp), even for lunch.  This is motivated by money.  I can't afford to be lazy and only cook when I really want to.

The plan:
Step 1: Tell DH things have to change (check). He's not making any cash so he gets to deal with my new system--tragically the new system involves more work for me.  He took it well and seems to be on board.

Step 2: Develop a vague plan of what we might eat this week (the plan included PB&J, grilled cheese, and um chicken and maybe some veggies)--not much of a shopping list but I've never excelled at planning meals more than 3 hours in advance.

Step 3: Shopping (Piglet and I enjoyed this step).  For $57, we left the store with what might actually be enough food for the week (or pretty close).  Considering that I've been spending over $10 on lunch alone during the week, this is pretty awesome and has motivated me to cook.

Step 4: Prep some meals in advance to keep this project from failing miserably.  I managed to chop and freeze 2 onions and prepare a meal to cook later (yes 1--to my credit I have a minor sinus infection and needed a nap). 

Step 5:  Profit! 

So it's Tuesday.  I've managed to eat at home for lunch both work days (and DH is remarkably on board).  I've made 2 dinners in a row (this never happens during the week).  My only expense in the past 2 days was my daycare check.  

If I keep this up, I may be able to at least afford the margarita in a few weeks. :)

1 comment:

  1. I don't mind cooking for the most part but HATE shopping...it has gotten downright depressing!

    I'm visiting form CafeMom...

    You may want to check out The Blogging Buddies Social Network
    ...it's a great way to promote your blog!

    Hope to see you there!

    ReplyDelete